Saturday 30 August 2014

Prelude

Our journey began approximately 4 years ago, in Sydney. 'Let's make a baby' conversation over a glass of wine, husband with a beer at our local bar. So we rushed home, to 'make a baby' thinking that it was that easy and in a few weeks we would be pregnant! Negative! So lets keep trying, a few months later each time negative. So at the recommendation of my beautiful cousin R (all names I'll refer to as a letter in my blog),  I downloaded this app to track cycles, moods, a bit like a Japanese cartoon game. It was fun, sweet and most off all got me in tune with my body. More months went by, and I purchased a pregnancy test every month, the ones you can test 4 days prior and all were Negative.

We started to do some tests to find out why. Tests came back positive, we should be falling pregnant. Why aren't we??? We moved to Perth in 2011 for work - family business. We transferred our notes from our clinic in Sydney to a clinic in Perth. (We were at the early stages, just the first initial tests)

More test results showed that I had one blocked fallopian tube and the other well lets just say it looks like a creek with rocks - big boulder rocks, but everything else perfect. A few weeks later I went into surgery to have my tubes cleared out. negative result. I cried in the recovery room. I seriously thought the doctor could just clear them out and bingo we could fall pregnant. Another road block.

So lets do IVF!

Great we had options, we have a plan. I like plans, I like to know where I'm going and what I'm doing and the what the result will be.

Egg collection day, I felt like my guts were hanging around my knee caps. OUCH! oh and the drugs, every couple of days breaking viels - and sometimes breaking the glass too. And then the injecting the drug into my body. My tummy was a blown up balloon with pin holes through it that just seemed to expand more and more.  The desire to have children and to create a family with my wonderful husband, I would take the needles every day if I had too. So 4 egg implantations later (1 at a time over a series of months) and nothing! The doctors didn't know why? All hormone levels perfect, cycle perfect, health and fitness level great. WHY???? I seriously thought it would work first time round and so did the nurses. they were in just as much shock.  Oh how deflated we were. (but not my tummy)

Between each cycle I tried new things, gluten free, diary free, alcohol free, in bed for 2 weeks. didn't hang out the washing and lift anything for 2 weeks.  (my husband thought I was a going to kill him with starvation and chores) all things natural. I even cleared out all the chemicals and purchased $700 worth of Enjo products. More exercise, less chemicals are not a bad thing, but the diary free and gluten free - now that was just 'taking the cake' and a bit over board. I was hungry all the time. give me a piece of bread and a coffee!!!! I lasted about 10 days on the gluten free diet. but we did manage to go 4 weeks no alcohol - "Dry July". I even did a 'nothing' over the "2 week wait". The result was still negative.


I had a glass of wine, ate normal food and went on holiday. Still negative!! I mentioned earlier the fun quirky cycle monitoring app my cousin R recommended got in me in tune with my body, well so did the IVF cycles and taking those drugs. Each time I injected hormones into me, I knew it was killing something inside. I knew the drugs weren't for me. Naturally my hormone levels were working, peaking at right times of the month etc, so why add more hormones? Perhaps in hindsight I should have asked my Doctor to try a round without the drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment